Monday 27 December 2010

Choose a topic from a previous exercise and write the start of a story, using a particular genre

As the moving van wound its way through the streets, I realised for the first time that this was to be my home - my domain. These streets, these corners and traffic lights and lamp posts would be familiar to me in good time. A new life, a new start. And no men, absolutely no men whatsoever.
When the van pulled up outside number 23, I could see a few faces staring out from behind windows. I tried to ignore them as I unlocked the front door and let the removal men in. It took the better part of two hours to get all my things inside, after initially telling them to leave things near the door then having to move those things out of the way when I realised they were blocking the way. I started to get flustered by the whole affair and when they asked me if I needed help taking things upstairs I utterly failed at explaining where I thought things should go, lost the ability to speak coherently and just told them to go, thanking them for their help.
I sat down in a heap on a pile of boxes, exhausted despite a lack of any great effort, and contemplated where to begin. What would my new home look like? Did I want to reconstruct the old one, albeit in rooms of a slightly different shape? It didn't seem like a good idea. The big leather armchair - if placed close to the TV and opposite the couch - would become Tim's chair again. The memory was too strong. The top drawer would have to be filled or it would become a shrine to his shirts and underwear and worn socks. The sheets he'd made fun of would always be those sheets, the ones they'd woken up with on Sunday mornings, and stayed in, reading, fooling around, until noon. Change then, but how much?
As she lay pondering a clever new furniture configuration, the doorbell went. An unfamiliar sound, and it felt odd to get up in response to it. There was a man at the door - tall, short spikey black hair and just the right amount of stubble to look handsome without appearing lax with regard to person hygiene. "Hi," said the stranger. "I live next door and I was wondering if you needed anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment