Monday 20 December 2010

Foreshadowing. It happens.

When they first came to couple's counselling, Anna didn't know she was pregnant again If we had known, perhaps the whole endeavour would have been pointless. On that first day, they walked sheepishly into my office as if they'd been called in for being naughty. Many couples are nervous or embarrassed, but these two seemed united in a sense of being unsure as to whether they should be there. They sat down, eyes flitting nervously between each other and myself. I asked them their relationship history and they told me how they'd met at university, how after graduating Tim had got a job in Yorkshire to be closer to Anna, and how they got married two years later. "...and we have a daughter," Anna added, as if coming to the root of the problem. "Abby. She's twelve."
A cloud of uncertainty seemed to fall upon the room after that. It's not good practice to make assumptions, however, so I asked, "And how can I be of help?"
Anna looked at Tim uncertainly. I couldn't read his expression, but he glanced at his wife and said, "Well. Go on, then."
Anna tried to start a sentence but failed. "You can't even say it can you?" said Tim. "Well I don't blame you." He turned to me. "She's jealous," he said. "Of our daughter. Of our twelve-year-old daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment